I am a bit obsessed with the use of "omics" in science and in particular the adding of this suffix onto everything and anything. Here are some writings / stories on the topic.
Badomics words posts:
- Robert Lee Hotz in the Wall Street Journal: Here's an Omical Tale: Scientists Discover Spreading Suffix Researchers Develop Lots of New Words That All End Alike; 'Sounds Futuristic'
- Richard Grant in the Guardian: Say "Ome": scientists get silly The proliferation of various "–omes" betrays a deep-seated love of the irreverent.
- Monya Baker in Nature: Big biology: The ’omes puzzle
- #Badomics word of the year already? Yup. The 'Consciousome' from Deepak Chopra
- Badomics word of the year? Nutrimetabonomics
- #Badomics word of the day, week and month: the morphome
- A badomics word for good purposes: new paper on the "ridiculome"
- Referring to 16S surveys as "metagenomics" is misleading and annoying #badomics #OmicMimicry
- #Badomics word of the day & Worst New Omics Word Award: CircadiOmics
- Trying to track down source of cartoon about coining "ome" words #badomics
- Not a #badomics word but - "Evolutionary Systems Biology" is - well - pretty complex
- My new paper in #Gigascience: #Badomics words and the power and peril of the ome-meme
- What to do - what to do - cool microbial art w/ a #badomics word --- must resist purchasing -- must resist ...
- #badomics word for the week: nascentome
- Worst new omicsword, perhaps ever, the Dispensome #awful #badomics #reallybad #uggh
- Why #badomics words can also be very good: a case in study with museomics #JGIUM
- #Badomics word of the day (or even month): Culturomics
- Good omics word of the day: transcriptomics
- Good words on bad omics words: "A crisis in postgenomic nomenclature" from 2002
- End (at least for while) of the bad omics word awards
- Bad omics word of the day: connectome
- Cool paper, & winner of "worst new omics word award": Predatosome
- Worst new omics word award: Negatome
- Wanted - Bad New Omics Words
- Worst new omics word award: material degradomics
- Worst new omics word award #5: fermentome
- Worst new omics word award: Omnigenomics by (surprisingly) @Genomicron
- Worst new omics word award: diseasome (thx @steinsky @noahwilliamgray @mocost )
- Worst new omics word award: ethomics
- Worst New Omics Word Award: Museomics
Other things to read on this topic
- The Biological Observation Matrix (BIOM) format or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the ome-ome by McDonald et al
- Chitty M:Omes and -omics glossary & taxonomy. Evolving terminology for emerging technologies. http://www.genomicglossaries.com/content/omes.asp
- Petsko GA: No place like Ome. Genome Biol 2002, 3(7):COMMENT1010. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text |PubMed Central Full Text
- Fields S, Johnston M: Genomics. A crisis in postgenomic nomenclature. Science 2002, 296(5568):671. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text
- Young SN: A rant against jargon and neologisms. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2006, 31(3):155-156. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text |PubMed Central Full Text
- Lederberg J, McCraw AT: 'Ome sweet 'omics– a genealogical treasury of words. Scientist 2001, 15(7):8.
- Austin on Ome Sweet Ome
- The Wholeness in Suffix -omics, -omes, and the Word Om